Like most people, I’m reviewing my schedule for 2011 and seeing how things are stacking up.
In response to a question in the LinkedIn Group for TSNN (Trade Show News Network) here are the 2011 conferences and online events that I currently plan to attend to support my work in tourism and social media and the entrepreneurial life in general….
1) First, I’ll talk about paying the bills with the Freelancer February webinar series, run by the Association for Women in Communications (AWC) National Tech Committee and presented by Freelance Austin, where I’m a Board member. We’ll have one webinar per week in February related to successful freelancing, and I’m kicking off on Feb 1 with a one-hour presentation entitled “No, You May NOT Pick My Brain: Drawing the Line Between Free and Paid.” Free for AWC members, $39 for non-members.
2) SXSW Interactive (SXSWi) in March in Austin TX. It’s called Geek Spring Break for a reason; 5 days of crazy and 12,000+ people, but “the future happens here.” I do not miss it – not because of the panels, usually, but because of the critical mass of interesting people who attend from around the tech world. Here is a SXSW survival guide from a local (me.)
3) SOBCon, 29 April – 1 May, in Chicago IL. Business and social media think tank, with a unique Models and Masterminds format and a good example of how social media turns conferences into communities. This is the event where I actually get to talk to those I couldn’t get to in the SXSWi scrum, and it draws a strong cross-section of business people. This is where Becky McCray and I first discussed the idea that became Tourism Currents.
4) Writer’s League of Texas Agents and Editors conference 2011, June, in Austin. Because it’s finally book-writing time for me, and I’m exploring publishing options. My tentative book topic is about starting an online business when you’re over 40.
5) Destination Marketing Association International (Destinations International (formerly DMAI) ) annual convention, July, in New Orleans. I’m putting in a proposal to speak at this one. Some jazz at Snug Harbor would be good, too.
6) 140 Characters Conference Small Town, September, in Hutchinson KS. Communications in the “state of now” with small town, rural and economic development angles and a huge variety of speakers.
7) TTIA’s Texas Travel Summit and/or Texas Association of CVBs (TACVB) conference. Covers all aspects of the Texas state travel and tourism industries. Still deciding between the two.
8 ) BlogWorld and New Media Expo, early Nov, normally Las Vegas but may change. Becky and I run the BlogWorld tourism track at this must-attend event for thousands of online publishers.
9) SoMeT (Symposium on Social Media in Tourism) in Nov, location TBD. I spoke at the first one last year, and it was dynamite. Social media-savvy tourism and hospitality experts from CVBs and DMOs large and small.
10) Very Cool Tourism Currents Webinar Series That I Can’t Talk About Yet. Working on a series of educational webinars this year, produced by Becky and me and featuring some really smart guests. More to follow!
Holy smokes – just reading all that is sending me for another cup of coffee. 🙂
Will I see you at any of the above?
(If you like this post, please consider subscribing to the blog via RSS feed or by email – the email signup box is on the right sidebar near the Search box. Thanks!)
You will see me at most of these 😉